Friday 14 September 2007

8. September 2007 - first lesson after summer break - part #2

Martin asked us to do the "Ethical Orientation Questionnaire" [http://www.ethicsandbusiness.org/stylequiz.htm]. Here is my result including comments on my decisions:


1. Which is worse?
hurting someone's feelings by telling the truth
telling a lie and protecting their feelings


Comment: Telling the truth is not always the easiest way, but I prefer the truth. Even if it hurts, I would see it as a chance to possibly change my attitudes.


2. Which is the worse mistake?
to make exceptions too freely
to apply rules too rigidly

Comment: Rules are the death of any innovation.


3. Which is it worse to be?
unmerciful
unfair

Comment: One can treat you unmerciful, but mustn't be unfair.


4. Which is worse?
stealing something valuable from someone for no good reason
breaking a promise to a friend for no good reason

Comment: Impossible to answer. I would do neither of them. But, to follow my gut feeling, I took the 2nd.


5. Which is it better to be?
just and fair
sympathetic and feeling

Comment: I expect to be treated just and fair, and so I hope my behaviuor is also just and fair :-)


6. Which is worse?
not helping someone in trouble
being unfair to someone by playing favorites

Comment: Same as point 5.


7. In making a decision you rely more on
hard facts
personal feelings and intuition

Comment: I rely on hard facts too, but if they are almost equal my decisions depend on my gut feeling. (see point 4. :-))


8. Your boss orders you to do something that will hurt someone. If you carry out the order, have you actually done anything wrong?
yes
no

Comment: In my opinion yes. I would never go out and hurt someone if someone else told me to do so, even if it was my boss.


9. Which is more important in determining whether an action is right or wrong?
whether anyone actually gets hurt
whether a rule, law, commandment, or moral principle is broken

Comment: There is nothing that legitimates actions which hurt other people. If an action doesn't hurt anyone but possibly breaks some rules or laws, then that action can't be wrong :-).


My score:
C Score: 5
J Score: 4


so long,
Werner

No comments: